7.16.2009

Margherita pizza on a zucchini crust

We are part of our local CSA (community supported agriculture) and receive fresh meats, fruits and vegetables every week. It is great, we love it. However, it is a little difficult to consume all of the veggies we receive. For instance, two weeks in a row we got 6+ zucchini in our package, we had zucchini coming out our ears. Don't get me wrong I love me some zucchini be it sauteed, grilled, stuffed, etc... and believe me we have done it every way known to man. That said, we recently came across an idea that I had to try, a pizza crust with zucchini as the main ingredient. The dough...actually more of a batter was 4 cups of zucchini that had spent some time in the food processor, 3/4 cup of flour, 3/4 cup of parm cheese, an egg, salt and pepper to taste. It took a bit longer to finally start to crisp up than I thought it would and in hindsight I probably could have left in even a bit longer. I topped the pizza with fresh mozz., tomatoes, garlic, red onion, and basil from the garden. Lastly, to finish the plate I drizzled some good balsamic on the pizza to make it really pop. All that said, it was great! I will definitely be making this next time we are bombarded with zucchini. I hope you enjoy the pics.



4 comments:

troy. said...

Sounds and looks great! Will definitely be trying this -- we're just starting to get zukes from our garden.

bkroll said...

Oh you should! I recommend baking the crust for about 30 minutes, then paint it with olive oil and broil until it looks crispy enough for you...then add the toppings.

troy. said...

So...we tried this, but it didn't work out as I had imagined. I'm pretty sure the zucchini (after processing) was too wet. We added extra flour, but I guess not enough. We cooked it for a good while, but it just didn't firm up -- more of an eggy-type texture (a bit too runny for us). We still ate it, so it wasn't a complete loss.

Anyway, we'll try it again and either drain off more of the water and/or add more flour. There's some good bones to this receipe, we just need to fine tune it!

bkroll said...

You know mine was a bit too soft too. I chalked it up to not cooking it long enough but maybe you are right, the zucchini out of the food processor may just be too wet. I wonder if it would be better to finely chop or grate it and then pat it dry before adding all the other ingredients.